Release date: April 14th 2020
Welcome to my Veeam B&R Series. I recently begun getting problems truncating the Veeam SQL database, this was on the backup-server itself. In this session I will show what I did to troubleshoot this problem.
The first thing I did was to check the size of the transaction log
Next, I checked the processing settings for the job itself, as we can see from below, the recommended settings are applied.
I also verified the the correct credentials were set for the job
After googling a while, I found the solution at Veeams KB addressing Microsoft SQL Server Transaction Log are not truncated due to an error code 0x80004005 [TLS 1.0]
So I added the reg-key described in the KB article.
Finally I ran the backup-job again and the error was gone
Disclaimer: Every tips/tricks/posting I have published here, is tried and tested in different it-solutions. It is not guaranteed to work everywhere, but is meant as a tip for other users out there. Remember, Google is your friend and don’t be afraid to steal with pride! Feel free to comment below as needed.