Release date: April 7th 2023
Welcome to my VMware Horizon series. In this session I will describe how I upgraded the VMware OS Optimization Tool Plugin for MS MDT. The new version has support for Windows 11 22H2 and several other improvements, according to the release notes: VMware Horizon 8 2303 Release Notes
- Windows OS Optimization Tool for VMware Horizon
- Supports Windows 11 22H2.
- Includes additional built-in functions.
- This release adds support for MDT Environment Automation that simplifies the process of creating an MDT server and setting up the base image. The tool automates the installation of the required applications and configures the Optimization tool MDT plugin.
- Optimization Tool MDT plugin includes:
- Ability to gather optimization result reports.
- Support for importing customized extension to the optimization template.
- Support for multiple deployment shares.
I start out by downloading the installation media from VMware Customer Connect
There isn’t an installer for this, so to upgrade my MDT setup with the new version of the OSOT MDT Plugin, I start out by unpacking the downloaded zip file
From the Bin folder, I copy and replace the existing files within: “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Bin”
Next, I copy and replace the osot.xml template file to: “D:\DeploymentShare\Templates”
I have to edit the osot.xml to verify the ExeInstaller property vs actual filenames for VMware Tools, Horizon/DEM Agents and OSOT. The App Volumes Agent isn’t referenced with version and will work even after updating the installer in the Deployment Share.
Dynamic Environment Agent:
VMware OS Optimization Tool:
App Volumes Agent:
As I mentioned above, the App Volumes Agent isn’t referenced to with a version or build, so the installer properties doesn’t need any adjustments.
The final task I have to complete, is to Update the Deployment Share.
This completes my OSOT MDT Plugin upgrade, using this, I can now proceed with upgrading the Horizon Agent, covered here: VMware Horizon – Upgrade Horizon Agent to v. 2203
For additional info about VMware OSOT, check out this guide on VMware’s Digital Workspace Tech Zone: Windows OS Optimization Tool for VMware Horizon Guide
VMware Horizon planning, deployment etc.
Official VMware Horizon 8 Documentation
Disclaimer: Every tips/tricks/posting I have published here, is tried and tested in different it-solutions. It is not guaranteed to work everywhere, but is meant as a tip for other users out there. Remember, Google is your friend and don’t be afraid to steal with pride! Feel free to comment below as needed.