Welcome to my VMware Horizon View series. In this section I will describe how I upgraded my VMware Horizon View Connection Servers to v. 7.8
Caveat: After having experienced problems during upgrade of one of my connection servers, I restored it from a snapshot. That caused massive problems with replication. So, although I recommend creating a snapshot prior to upgrading the connection-servers, be cautious when restoring snapshots. This is a known problem and has been nicely discussed at length by David Ball here: “LDAP is not ready” when upgrading VMware Horizon Connection Servers The resolution to my replication-problems after restoring from snapshot, was to revert to snapshots on both connections servers and start upgrade from scratch.
Note to my self: Prior to upgrading the connection servers, be sure to verify replication status and event-logs…
Before I start upgrading my Connection servers, I verify that I have a valid backup and shut down one server at a time and take a snapshot
In Horizon Administrator, I first disable the connection server I want to upgrade.
The State now changes to Disabled
Next, I login on the server and start the Installation Wizard
I accept the terms, Next
The warning that now pops up is quite important. Although I click OK at this stage, I will revisit this at the bottom of this section
I confirm the installation path, Install
Once the installer finishes, click Finish
At this point I reboot the connection server. Once server is restarted, I verify the version in Horizon Administrator and enable the upgraded connection server.
Next, I disable the other connection server and perform the upgrade-procedure above on this server too. After the upgrade is finished, both servers are v. 7.8.0-12637483.
Lastly, I verify that replication between the connection servers are running without problems and check the event log for errors. Finally I delete the snapshots I took before starting the upgrade.
As mentioned above, with this new release, VMware has added the possibility to hide the domain list from the clients. This out of a security perspective. In a multi-domain environment setting this setting could cause some issues. In order to togge this setting, I open General Settings and check my preferred setting. This will ensure my clients see the domain list.
The domain is now visible in the client when I test.
This concludes my connections server-upgrade, I can now proceed with upgrading my GPO Templates, covered here: VMware Horizon View – Upgrade Horizon View GPO Bundle to v. 7.8
Disclaimer: Every tips/tricks/posting I have published here, is tried and tested in different it-solutions. It is not guaranteed to work everywhere, but is meant as a tip for other users out there. Remember, Google is your friend and don’t be afraid to steal with pride! Feel free to comment below as needed.