Welcome to my VMware Horizon View series. In this session I will create a local repository for VMware Horizon Client installations. This is especially handy if connection servers is located in isolated VLAN’s. I will perform the following tasks in order to create a local client repository.
- Download the new VMware Horizon Client from VMware here: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_horizon_clients/5_0
- Create a folder named downloads in “C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps” on the connection server
- Copy the downloaded client to C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps\downloads
- Backup the “C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\portal\portal-links-html-access.properties” file
- Edit the C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\portal\portal-links-html-access.properties file with new paths to client installation
- Restart the connection server
As I have two connection servers, I will have to perform these tasks in both servers in order to maintain redundancy.
In the VMware Horizon portal the users can click “Install VMware Horizon Client”, which will normally redirect the users to VMware’s client download page. This is the functionality I’m going to change in this session.
I log into the connection server and create new folder named downloads under “C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps”
Next, I copy the downloaded Horizon Client 5.0 for Windows to the new “C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps\downloads” folder.
I backup “C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\portal\portal-links-html-access.properties” before I open Notepad as Administrator and edit the portal-links-html-access.properties file.
From the downloads-folder, I copy the VMware Horizon Client filename
Back in Notepad, I modify the link.win32 and link.win64 paths to match my downloads location
Finally I restart the connection server in order to apply my changes from this session.
Disclaimer: Every tips/tricks/posting I have published here, is tried and tested in different it-solutions. It is not guaranteed to work everywhere, but is meant as a tip for other users out there. Remember, Google is your friend and don’t be afraid to steal with pride! Feel free to comment below as needed.